Coutts, wealth manager and private bank, has today joined the Post Office’s Banking Framework, allowing its customers to undertake banking services such as making cash withdrawals, deposits or paying in cheques at any of the Post Office’s 11,500 branches – the UK’s biggest retail network.
The agreement means that Coutts becomes the 30th financial institution to join the Framework, which includes high street banks, digital start-ups and credit unions. Coutts clients will have around 22,500 locations across the UK where they can carry out their banking requirements, including NatWest/ RBS branches, ATMs and now Post Offices.
Research shows that ninety three per cent of the UK population is within one mile of a Post Office, while ninety-nine percent of the UK population is within three miles. The Post Office on average supports c1.9 million transactions (withdrawals and deposits) a month amounting to around £350 million withdrawn and deposited by NatWest and RBS customers in local communities, and Coutts will now bring that same opportunity to its clients.
Martin Kearsley, Banking Director at the Post Office, said:
“Post Office and Coutts have both been in business for well over 300 years and we’re delighted their customers can now do their everyday banking at our 11,500 branches. With 6,000 of our branches being in rural areas, many open longer hours and at weekends, we’re ideally placed to provide a convenient, personable and secure service for their customers.”
James Clarry, Chief Operating Officer, Coutts, said:
“We know that our clients value both personal service and choice. Whilst an increasing number of our clients are using our award-winning digital services, many continue to prefer the ability to engage face-to-face in their own communities. That is why we are delighted to have joined the Post Office’s Banking Framework – to ensure we continue to be as accessible as possible for our clients, in ways that suit them best. It is with great pleasure that we can connect two iconic British institutions, Coutts and the Post Office, to extend our services into over 22,000 locations in the UK.”
With more branches than all of the UK’s banks and building societies combined, the Post Office plays a leading role in ensuring customers and small businesses have easy access to cash. 99% of personal customers and more than 75% of business customers can do their banking at the Post Office.
In addition to today’s announcement, Adam & Company also owned by RBS / NatWest will become the 31st institution to join the Banking Framework.
About Post Office:
- With 11,500 branches, the Post Office is among the larger retail networks in the UK.
- 98% of Post Office branches are run with retail partners on an agency or franchise basis.
- The Post Office provides services central to peoples’ everyday lives; 99.7% of the population lives within 3 miles of a Post Office.
- We offer the UK’s largest fee free cash withdrawal network through our 11,500 branches, over 2,000 cash machines and 99 per cent of UK bank customers can access their accounts at the Post Office.
- We sell 170 different products and services spanning financial services including savings, insurance, loans, mortgages and credit cards; Government services; telephony; foreign currency; travel insurance and mail services.
- Post Offices branches remain highly valued and trusted, and are the focal point of many communities. For more information; visit www.postoffice.co.uk and to find out about a Post Office business opportunities; visit www.runapostoffice.co.uk