Claverley Postmaster, Kay White, the UK’s oldest Postmaster has just notched up 60 years in charge of her Shropshire Post Office.
At 92-years-old, Kay White is still a regular face at Claverley Post Office serving customers alongside her niece, Ann Madeley, who is in her 70s. However, due to the coronavirus pandemic the Post Office branch is currently temporarily closed because of their age. Kay and Ann are keen to be back to serving villagers when Government medical advice changes. They are hoping to re-open the branch in June.
Postmaster Kay White, said:
"Claverley is a beautiful village. I have loved my life here and have never wanted to move anywhere else. It is such a shame that the coronavirus pandemic stopped me from working on my 60th anniversary and doing what I thoroughly enjoy doing – serving the community and keeping in touch with the villagers.”
Nick Read, Post Office Chief Executive, said:
“I want to congratulate 92-year-old Kay White, our oldest Postmaster for achieving 60 years as Postmaster for Claverley. What a remarkable achievement. Kay and her niece, Ann, who run the Post Office are much loved and appreciated by the village and by myself and colleagues in our area team, who are amazed and impressed by Kay who is still enjoying serving customers.”
Kay first started working at Claverley Post Office when she was 14, after leaving Claverley Church of England School, and so has been at the branch for a total of 78 years.
In 2010 Kay was awarded an MBE in the New Year Honours for her services to the community. As well as being busy as the village Postmaster, Kay spent 38 years on the Parish Council, ran the Sunday school at All Saints Church for more than 20 years and founded the local Women’s Institute.
About Post Office:
- With 11,500 branches, the Post Office is among the larger retail networks in the UK.
- 98% of Post Office branches are run with retail partners on an agency or franchise basis.
- The Post Office provides services central to peoples’ everyday lives; 99.7% of the population lives within 3 miles of a Post Office.
- We offer the UK’s largest fee free cash withdrawal network through our 11,500 branches, over 2,000 cash machines and 99 per cent of UK bank customers can access their accounts at the Post Office.
- We sell 170 different products and services spanning financial services including savings, insurance, loans, mortgages and credit cards; Government services; telephony; foreign currency; travel insurance and mail services.
- Post Offices branches remain highly valued and trusted, and are the focal point of many communities. For more information; visit www.postoffice.co.uk and to find out about a Post Office business opportunities; visit www.runapostoffice.co.uk